Date and Location: Summer 2011, at the Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, NJ. Application Deadline: October 31, 2010. Eligibility: 3-5th grade teachers. Expenses: All travel, lodging, food and all other related expenses will be paid by the Academy.
2011 Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy
Applications due October 31, 2010
The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy is a one-week all-expense-paid intensive professional development program in the summer for third- through fifth-grade teachers. The Academy offers a five-day program designed to provide third- through fifth-grade teachers with the knowledge and skills necessary to motivate students to pursue careers in science and math.
Phil and Amy Mickelson partnered with ExxonMobil to develop the Academy in conjunction with the National Science Teachers Association and Math Solutions. The Mickelsons wanted to develop a program that inspires teachers from across the country in math and science and equips them with interactive teaching tools to ignite their students’ passion for these subjects. They also wanted to create a program that helps to develop the next generation of science savvy citizens who will grow up to make the next breakthrough in medicine, in energy, or in any of the growing number of fields that require a solid foundation in math and science.
Two of the nation’s leading teacher-training organizations, Math Solutions Professional Development, founded by Marilyn Burns, and the National Science Teachers Association, design the curriculum, provide instructors and manage the daily activities and logistics of the Academy.
Goals of the Program
- deepen teachers’ understanding of mathematics and science content in the areas of : data and statistics, measurement, force and motion;
- build expertise in facilitating student learning through problem solving and inquiry;
- use links between math and science to support student learning;
- understand how children learn and apply that to classroom instruction;
- build teachers’ knowledge base and use of instructional resources to support students’ learning; and
- network with others involved in elementary school mathematics and science education
- Application due October 31, 2010
- Evaluations by the National Science Teachers Association will occur between October 31, 2010 and February 2011
- Selected teachers will be notified by the National Science Teachers Association in mid-March 2011
- The Academy will take place in the summer, likely July 2011, at the Liberty Science Center in Jersey City, NJ. The Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy pays for travel, lodging, food and all other related expenses.
Please check the Website to find out more about the program and to fill out the online application.